You are not logged in.

Announcement

New Forum about the DAK and Tropical German army, and Allied army in WW2 only

#26 15-09-2011 03:44:48

The Magpie
Veteran DAK Member

Re: Tunic eagle application chronolgy

NZMark wrote:

Just an additional response in relation to Magpie's comment that (on another forum) some thought the 3rd pattern tunic seen above to be 'custom-made'. This, to me, beggars belief. Why would an officer have a tailor made tunic manufactured in a style that had a) yet to see issue (according to many) b) Was seen at the time as highly unfashionable due to the lack of scalloped pocket flaps and non-bloused pockets. If tailor made then surely he would have ordered it to be made with such desirable features...
Just my thoughts.
Mark

I too agree with Mark (and everyone else here) on this. Though there are variations on custom tropical tunics. Rommels did have pleated pockets but the pocket flaps were cut straight not scalloped. I do recall some were puzzled by the line (fold-crease, wrinkle ?) running from the collar to the armpit on his left shoulder. and that this crease was sewn proved it was a custom tunic.   I Disagree, it just looks to a wrinkle or crease to me.

Sometimes common sense must enter into historical collecting, though some insist common sense has no place here.roll

#27 30-09-2011 05:55:48

Wessels
Confirmed DAK Member

The eagle on my second pattern tunic is zig zagged all around the perimeter except for the wreath. The wreath is hand sewn. A friend of mine has a 3rd pattern tunic that has an eagle sewn in all three fashions: straight stitched across the top and flipped., zig zagged down the sides, and a hand applied wreath.

I study and collect uniforms, equipment, decorations, personal effects, photos, weapons and vehicles of the ground forces of the Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine and Waffen SS.

#28 30-09-2011 05:57:12

NZMark

Love to see images of that one! What's the date on it?
Cheers,
Mark

Student & Collector of WWII German Tropical Militaria

#29 03-11-2011 08:19:30

Wessels
Confirmed DAK Member

Mark...

I will have to check the date of that 3rd model tunic the next time I visit my friend who owns it. I believe it is a 43 dated tunic.

I study and collect uniforms, equipment, decorations, personal effects, photos, weapons and vehicles of the ground forces of the Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine and Waffen SS.

#30 07-04-2012 08:20:18

Wessels
Confirmed DAK Member

Mark...

I verified the date of that 3rd model tunic of my friends and it is 43 dated.

Board footer

Créez Votre Propre Forum
Insérer vos Graphiques
Dictionnaires de Traduction
Hébergé par ForumCrea.com