Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You are not logged in.

Announcement

New Forum about the DAK and Tropical German army, and Allied army in WW2 only

#1 23-09-2018 03:58:28

Markus
Veteran DAK Member

P.38 Hard Shell Holster Marked CWW 1941

Hi folks, I haven’t posted this one before. 

A black leather P.38 hard shell pistol holster marked CWW 1941 (manufacturer Carl Weiss Lederwarenfabrik of Braunschweig),
with the correct Waffenamt code of WaA750.

It looks like a previous owner has inscribed their initials (W.W.S.) in to the leather on the reverse, just above the P.38 stamp.

Regards Markus.

http://afrikakorps.forumcrea.com/img/avatars/afrikakorps/big/2587_dsc02878.jpg

http://afrikakorps.forumcrea.com/img/avatars/afrikakorps/big/2587_dsc02882.jpg

http://afrikakorps.forumcrea.com/img/avatars/afrikakorps/big/2587_dsc02883.jpg

http://afrikakorps.forumcrea.com/img/avatars/afrikakorps/big/2587_dsc02885.jpg

http://afrikakorps.forumcrea.com/img/avatars/afrikakorps/big/2587_dsc02879.jpg

http://afrikakorps.forumcrea.com/img/avatars/afrikakorps/big/2587_dsc02881.jpg

Last edited by Markus (24-09-2018 00:01:27)

#2 23-09-2018 04:38:01

msteve21
Veteran DAK Member

Re: P.38 Hard Shell Holster Marked CWW 1941

Nice holster Markus, their starting to get up in price these days
Msteve

Collector of DAK & Panzer Militia
Great Southern Land

#3 23-09-2018 06:44:52

Rebbaron55
Supreme DAK Member
Website

Excellent holster! Wonder if the WWS and CWW are wartime or postwar additions? Most initials I have seen are inside the flap instead of outside. I could only collect holsters (plus bayonets) when working at my uncle's gunshop in Chicago. At that time a lot of pistols came in to the shop with holsters but few people wanted them so they were sold fairly cheap separately and I was able to pick up several as they were the main thing I could buy legally being under 21 years of age. Only the Femaru 37 holster seams to have been commonly made of canvas and brown or black leather that made it look tropical. There are some brown holsters out there but they usually pre-war for the SA or reproduction. Would be nice see some clear pictures of holsters made of tropical material in use in the desert smile Barron

#4 23-09-2018 14:55:49

RRA227
Supreme DAK Member

Nice holster.  Rich A. in Pa.

1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
Knowledge is power, guard it well.

#5 24-09-2018 00:23:06

Markus
Veteran DAK Member

Thanks for the comments guys smile

I didn't realise how awkward it is to take photos of black leather items until I took some shots of this holster hmm   I can see why some troops in North Africa painted
leather items tan, the light reflecting off a shiny surface is a bit of a problem.   

Anyway, I've bought a new camera so we shall see if my photography improves with the next post.

Barron, you should have stocked up on more of those holsters as a youngster.  I was very recently looking at a nice Luger holster on a dealers website for US$350 and it was snapped up within 24 hrs of listing....
Also I'm not sure when the initials WWS were added to mine, but I'm thinking maybe post war.  The CWW would have been stamped on the holster at the time of manufacture.

One of the things I look for with genuine holsters is to ensure that they still have the original leather belt straps and stitching on the back.  I've seen a number
that look like they were converted with metal prongs to fit to the US green web pistol belt and have since had replacement leather belt straps reinstated. 

You may recall that NZMark posted a nice web and leather Czech ZI 36 Rast-Gasser m98 holster a while ago, which can be accessed trough this link:  http://afrikakorps.forumcrea.com/viewtopic.php?id=1453

Regards Markus

Last edited by Markus (24-09-2018 02:55:41)

#6 25-09-2018 03:23:07

Rebbaron55
Supreme DAK Member
Website

I did pick up a good number of holsters at the gun shop, but I had not yet started specializing in early war so I mostly went for variety and then filled the holsters with pistols when I became of age!! big_smile I'll post some of the appropriate dated ones with my Femaru 37 holsters and then some of the later ones in the Feldgrau section   Barron

Last edited by Rebbaron55 (25-09-2018 03:34:17)

#7 25-09-2018 04:19:25

Markus
Veteran DAK Member

Thanks Barron, that would be great smile

Regards Markus

#8 04-10-2018 23:59:09

d-dayman
DAK Member

HI Gentlemen.

I have a question about DAK equipment specifically and I am not quite sure where to post it - so I will put it here for now.

I have been collecting DAK items as they came my way and I have a good basic set. Coincidentally I picked up a lovely matching Army tropical belt, buckle and tab which arrived this morning and a near mint belt on its own last week. So it has set my interest back very much into Tropical items.

I have Y-straps, water bottles, backpacks/rucksacks, clothing bags, A-frame, MP40 pouches, canvas frog and even a blue canvas Lufty belt (but no other blue items)...  but is that where DAK - i.e. Tropical equipment stopped.  Are there such things as tropical holsters, map cases, rifle slings, K98 pouches etc.  ?

I am trying to expand my collection further and wondered if there are some more illusive items.  Any help would be gratefully received and if I get time I will post the pics of today items shortly.

Thanks

Last edited by d-dayman (05-10-2018 00:03:19)

Collecting anything belonging to the WWII US Army Rangers.   Anything related to Omaha Beach on D-day… German Artillery and anything related to the British Landing Craft Assault boats.

#9 05-10-2018 02:17:23

Markus
Veteran DAK Member

Hi Gary,

As far as field equipment is concerned, whilst some items were designed for tropical use such as the Y straps, web water bottles, rucksacks etc these were also used more widely in other theatres, especially
after the Germans surrendered in North Africa.  Many items are now classified by dealers as being tropical (such as all canvas and web MP40 pouches), but there is plenty of photographic evidence
to show these being worn with continental field grey uniforms in Russia for example.

There is also the old 'coconut' type water bottle, with it's webbing rig, which is usually advertised as being tropical - but there is very little evidence to show that it was used in Africa, despite some examples
I've seen being dated 1941.

As a general rule, just about every piece of field equipment such as map cases, rifle slings, holsters, entrenching tools etc is exactly the same type as that used by German troops in Europe.  There are some variations to this such as field manufactured items,
but these are the rare exception. 

From what I've seen, some pieces of field equipment, such as as map cases, K98 pouches, gas mask cans, bayonet scabbards were painted in tropical paint to make these less noticeable.   

It gets a little confusing because you see in period photo's German troops in France in 1944 wearing a combination of continental and tropical field equipment items.  I'm assuming this was available from existing stocks was just issued if it served
a useful purpose; and that web items became more prevalent with shortages of leather as the war progressed.

Other forum members may also like to contribute..

If you've got items to post that would be great smile

Regards Markus

Last edited by Markus (05-10-2018 03:51:54)

Board footer

Créez Votre Propre Forum
Insérer vos Graphiques
Dictionnaires de Traduction
Hébergé par ForumCrea.com