Announcement

New Forum about the DAK and Tropical German army, and Allied army in WW2 only

#26 01-09-2012 13:25:54

andre1983nl
DAK Member

Re: repro tunic

Hot rodded?

BTW very nice reply!

I'm a Re-enactor, so i got reproduction.

OFP.info WW2 Desert Pack - DAK mod for Operation Flashpoint
Collected by me !!

#27 01-09-2012 17:02:20

Unfront
Confirmed DAK Member
Website

Andre - The "Term Hot" Rod is an American term for taking a normal motor (or car) and turning into something much more than it originally was:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c6/ThreeWindowCoupeHotrod6791.jpg/717px-ThreeWindowCoupeHotrod6791.jpg

Thus, taking a standard Sturm tunic requires serious "Hot Rodding" to make it nicer than it originally came out of the box.

_____
I collect Hermann Goring Panzerkorp and Luftwaffe Field Division items as well as tropical items from all branches of service.

#28 01-09-2012 19:17:58

desertratter
DAK Member
Website

Yes, Hessian makes good stuff, but I think their stock is low. I tried buying the tall boots they were out, they come with hobnails , smwholesales dont. Plus smwholesales boots I think are about a inch or 2 too short, they should come over the calf. I bought short pants from hessian and they are better quality then the long pants or breeches that come from Asian sellers, The color has a bit of brown, stronger material and the belt is thick enough . The belts on Asian pants are just a thin material that folds over. I tried buying the breeches from Hessian and they were also out. Did anyone buy caps from Hessian?

#29 01-09-2012 21:41:30

Unfront
Confirmed DAK Member
Website

I know a few people that have the Hessian ball cap. They were both very pleased - material and shape are good. The hats come with a cockaid, but require an eagle.

_____
I collect Hermann Goring Panzerkorp and Luftwaffe Field Division items as well as tropical items from all branches of service.

#30 03-09-2012 11:10:23

andre1983nl
DAK Member

How to Hot Rot?cool

I'm a Re-enactor, so i got reproduction.

OFP.info WW2 Desert Pack - DAK mod for Operation Flashpoint
Collected by me !!

#31 08-09-2012 17:44:47

Wessels
Confirmed DAK Member

I am one of the two pleased customers that Unfront refers to that is pleased with the Hessen cap. In all honesty though...The SMW cap (sold by: www.1944militaria.com) is the best. I wanted one of those...but when ordering, they were out of stock. Now they are in stock and I am soon buying one. The fake fold has sharp corners which is preferred, the grommets are better, and the cockade has the proper brown color. In my opinion, the best items for a DAK impression and who sells them are:

1. Feldmutze/Cap

Made by SM Wholesale
Sold by www.1944militaria.com

Note: Get the green one...NOT the tan version. These hats were not originally made pre faded...fade it on your own as they did!

2. Feldbluse/Tunic

Made by Hessenantique (NOT THE STURM tunic that they also offer)
Sold by www.hessenantique.com

3. Hosen/Pants (Breeches or straight legs)

Made by Hessenantique (NOT THE STURM tunic that they also offer)
Sold by www.hessenantique.com

4. Kurzehosen/Shorts

Made by Lost Battalions
Sold by...I believe Lost Battalions may be out of business???

5. Stiefel/Boots (Tall and short)

Made by SM Wholesale
Sold by www.atthefront.com

Note on boots: I am not a huge fan of the material that SMW chose for the canvas....but the rest of the boot is excellent. And I agree, the tall boots are a bit too short unfortunately.

As for how to "Hot Rod"....

1. Replace the insignia with:

a. Proper repro insignia (SMW Breast Eagles, Collar Litzen and Cap Insignias are the best).
b. Apply it properly just as original insignias were. Zip and flip etc. EXAMPLE: When Hot Rodding a cap, my chose variation was machine applied cockade and hand sewn eagle.

2. Replace the bogus buttons on the tunic with originals or strip and repaint them the correct green color. Chances are that your repro tunic has pebble grain buttons that are too dark or not painted at all.

3. If a Heer/Army impression....if your pants and shorts have the wrong or a Luftwaffe pattern buckle, replace it with a three claw type.
4. GET RID of all the cheap plastic buttons!!!!!

5. Sun fade the garments naturally.

6. IMPRESSION RELATED: Troops in Afrika rarely had 100% Tropen Issue. Look at the original pics. Most had standard continental canteens with leather straps and either a black painted aluminum cup or the small black Trinkbecher. Many troops had black pouched after the early stages. The Afrika Korps cuff title was FAR LESS common than reenactors hope and wish!!!

The list can go on and on...but these are a few of the basics. I hope this helps!

I study and collect uniforms, equipment, decorations, personal effects, photos, weapons and vehicles of the ground forces of the Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine and Waffen SS.

#32 13-09-2012 06:06:26

Unfront
Confirmed DAK Member
Website

How to "Hot Rod" continued:

7. Ditch ALL cheap aluminum zehltbah/dish buttons (the ones that usually come with the tunic). Same with the foppish black paper buttons. Replace them with original 4 hole paper buttons or small tunic type buttons  available from www.bunkermilitaria.com

_____

#33 24-07-2013 12:19:44

Ironcross

Just got into collecting  repo DAK stuff I am after a tunic first does anyone know what the DAK uniforms are like from soldier of fortune ? I see they do have the Scallop pockets and metal buttons also been looking at the ones from militaria net ? any help would be great Thanks

#34 24-07-2013 14:30:33

Toad

Hello Iron Cross,  both the traders you mention sell perfectly good tunics , but I would like to recommend Richard A Underwood,  his tunic comes ready badged - collar tabs, cuff title and eagle I think , so it is more expensive , but not in the long run .   Hope this helps ,  cheers, Toad .

#35 24-07-2013 16:34:02

Ironcross

Toad wrote:

Hello Iron Cross,  both the traders you mention sell perfectly good tunics , but I would like to recommend Richard A Underwood,  his tunic comes ready badged - collar tabs, cuff title and eagle I think , so it is more expensive , but not in the long run .   Hope this helps ,  cheers, Toad .

Thanks Toad for your advise I did not mention I was putting officer insignia on   the tunic  as DAK Major  ...has anyone got any photos of one of the DAK tunics from the sellers I mentioned ??   Thanks

#36 02-07-2016 20:12:49

SternvonAfrika

I bought the same Sturm tunic. But i Bought it personally and it was Ok. It's Doesn't had any of these mistakes. The rayon made from "100 percent Baumwolle". The Bondage pocket is big enough. The buttons are real steel or something. But not plastic and not looks the same like these buttons. The scallops are looks good.
The color is Ok. Doesn't too green. The shoulder board is not the best but i think it's better than that on the picture.
My English is not too goog,because I am Hungarian so please excuse me for the mistakes.

Last edited by SternvonAfrika (02-07-2016 20:18:24)

Board footer

Créez Votre Propre Forum
Insérer vos Graphiques
Dictionnaires de Traduction
Hébergé par ForumCrea.com